Evaluation of Semester A

The first semester for Design was fantastic and challenging in places. I feel as though I’ve come away with a lot more technical know how regarding software, I’m also getting better at critically reviewing my own work, I feel as though reviewing my work and constantly arguing with whether it can be improved helps me to progress as a designer.

Typography –

The Typography brief was the one that I personally preferred. I got to use new software I was unfamiliar with and create a functional typeface. During the early weeks of the semester it took a great deal of time and effort to get the results I wanted, however in the end everything worked out well.

Final4

The image above is my final typeface, heavily inspired by Valyrian from Game of Thrones. It took a few iterations to get my letter forms to a standard I was happy with, but working meticulously in order to create a realistic font is something that I’m happy with.
For the practical usage my font found it’s place on a T-Shirt and Scroll, overall I feel as though the font can be quite versatile even for products you wouldn’t expect.

InfoGraphic –

The infographic brief was something that personally took me a bit longer to adapt to. Understanding the direction I wanted to take for the infographic was a big deal  for me, I wanted it to be light-hearted, professional and informative at the same time. It was only until I had done some research and looked at other examples that I began to get an overall feel for the content I wanted to make. I started the brief with an A2 poster and eventually worked to create the other outputs when I knew the direction I wanted to take with it.

web

The focus for me next semester is to get to grips with the content quicker, and evaluate my work better throughout the process of creation.